bicycle recovery act
SB 1891 (Perata)
- Permits State and Local Government entities to use Internet technology to register bicycles.
- Ensures consumer privacy by making the unauthorized release of personal information subject to penalties.
- Guarantees that local law enforcement agencies have access to the Internet registration database(s) to enable them to return recovered bicycles to their rightful owners.
- Caps registration fees at the amount currently allowed by state law.
- Works with bicycle retailers.
- Requires, beginning January 1, 2006, that the serial number of a bicycle be clearly identified.
- Will result in more recovered bicycles to their rightful owners and help law enforcement officials.
NBR is an official licensee of the National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC).
A portion of the fees paid goes to fund NCPC's Public Service Advertising Campaign